Posterous as an Evernote Alternative? Not So Crazy!
I have recently discovered Posterous.com and have been taken like a school boy on prom night. One of my big and ongoing projects of late is to consolidate my cloud services. I'm sure any tech enthusiast will tell you; that it is way too easy to sign up with various services, and before you know it you have got your stuff spread all over.
The big selling point of Posterous.com is that it based on posting via email as well as its AutoPost function. The AutoPost is probably not needed if you are looking for an Evernote replacement. Posterous has the following feature set:
- You can post Photo's, Images, Video and of course text by email.
- You can make your site private with a single password.
- You can make an individual post private.
- Both Android and iPhone apps.
- You can add tags to your posts for sorting.
- You can email attachments such as PDF's or Office files.
How It Works.
Emailing to your Posterous Account is very straight forward, you must email from your registered email account, below are some examples.
- firstname.lastname@example.org - will post your email to your site. (The Subject will be the title)
- email@example.com ((tag:Personal,Web Design)) - This will post to your site and assign the tags: Personal and Web Design to the Post.
There are other configurations depending on your setup.
What's Missing; Voice Memos
I have been playing around with this, its not a function I use alot but it is still a need option. Most smartphones have a voice recorder app, it is a simple process to send this file to Posterous by using the Voice Recorder app or as an attachment via email.
I must admit I have been having a lot of fun playing around with this. This will not work for everyone, it all depends on how you use you Evernote. It should also be mentioned that you could also use a self-hosted WordPress site for this as well. I like Posterous as much of the work is already done for you.